Re: terrible class

---------

From: Janice Keenan (jekteachme_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 18:59:15 PDT

Don't we all have at least one class..whether Special
Ed, Alternative Ed, High School, Middle School,
Elementary, where you just cringe when they walk into
the door? I've been teaching 15 years and I'm still
learning every year how to handle these difficult
classes. THis year I have a 4th grade group that is
out of this world...it is an alternative ed
class...which in plain language...these are the kids
that have fallen through the cracks...'potential
dropouts'. I have to be SO strong with them. They
hardly do production art...they can't handle it...too
much stimulus! It doesn't help that it is their last
class for the day. But what is so hard for me is that
there is alot of talent in these kids..at least 10 of
the kids have very strong art abilities and they still
can't stay on task for more than 15 minutes. I do my
best..keep the parents informed (whether they respond
or not)..meet with principal (actually just had a
conference with her, the AP the Music teacher and the
kid's classroom teacher today). The grading period
just ended and they have yet to paint..although one
area that does keep their attention for a bit
longer..is the computers. Its a challenge..
   Jan in Miami