Re: difficult class

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 17:57:49 PDT

> Their classroom teacher must be told, and he or she must stay with them.
> The teacher will not be happy, but its really their responsibility.
> Artie

I agree, it's nice to have the classroom teacher's support. However, I
don't feel it's their responsibility. In my opinion, if you let it be known
that you are relying on the classrooms teacher's power, it undermines your
own. I feel the classroom teacher should let the students know that if they
are in trouble with the art teacher, they are also in trouble with him/her.
Rather like the support you expect from a parent.

Now, what to do? I say, set up your own SIMPLE system, stick to it. My
preference is time out (up to five min.) for disruptive behavior, working
alone (in room, off by self) for continued disruptions, removal of any
material/tool that is misused (on purpose, or at wrong time) for rest of
class. For whole class shenanigans (rare) heads down for five min., if it
continues, clean up and sit. If you are being disrespected, don't get angry
or return the disrespect, just separate the student (five min.) talk to
him/her after the time out. Good luck!
Leah

---