Re(2): MAINSTREAMING - INCLUSION

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 16:56:51 PDT

Just today I was in an ARD meeting where the student was on 3rd grade
level for 9th grade classes. For all the academic areas, the had special
ed classes but then put in art classes and health for regular. I still
have a hard time understanding that if they can not do the regular
classes, how can they do the reading , math, and history or art in ART
classes. I was told today that since this child could not read a ruler,
that I needed to get the other students started on an activity they could
do, then spend time working one on one with this student to teach them to
read a ruler. I do understand some having disabilities and modifying but
I feel the regular students are missing valuable instruction due to having
to teach these students. I had one student who will never be an artist,
hard to even display his work for quality, but he works, tries, I modified
a test by asking him the questions in person one on one, He could answer
them. But it was hard to do this while the regular students were present
to keep from giving answers away.

Most of the students who do fail are those who are special ed but we have
no work from them because,
1. They don't want to take the class in the first place
2. They don't feel comfortable doing work that will be seen by peers
3. They just don't work at all, want to visit and sleep
4. They want you to tell them everything.

Then to add to this, you have the regular student who forgot to really
study and get upset because I will not go easy on them like I do the
special ed students. I spend an average of 15 to 20 minutes per class
(54 min. class) dealing with behavioral problems, our regular studenst do
not wish to contine to upper classes of art for they come to realize it is
a dumping ground and their response is "why waist my time, I don't get the
benefits I feel I should out of an art class." Yes some of my best
students are special ed and will continue to welcome them and work with
them but if a student does not feel they want the class, they will do
nothing for you.

I believe the whole system needs revamping.

Jackie Aust
Bryan Texas
austart@bryanisd.org
jab1997@bryanisd.org