Re: am i a terrible teacher? response to Nancy

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 16:43:56 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
From: "nancy kizis" <smokealarm7@hotmail.com>
bunki,
thanks for your ideas, problem is, this is my eighth year and i have the rep
as the hardest nosed teacher in the art dept. i do change the seating
chart,provide rubrics, self evals., phone calls home,emails to parents, one
on one talks, constantly researching and updating my teaching methods. i
feel like a policeman rather than a teacher.
nancy

Oh, sorry Nancy. For some reason I picked up the idea that you were a new
art teacher. Sounds like you are doing all the things I would do.

 SOMETIMES you gotta let go and realize you're not going to succeed with
everybody...especially if it's the class from down in the basement of hell.
When I get one of THOSE, I just continue to be bitchy and mean and
unreasonable and unfair and a witch...just ask 'em. I stand with my arms
folded just WAITIN' for someone to open their little rosebud mouth. I make
"paper trails" from here to Timbuckto and the little sweeties always find
their way to the Principal's office. I tell the Principal I don't want to
see their face for another day of two and they usually wind up trying to do
art in their office...which isn't pleasant. A couple of those visits and
things change for AWHILE and then we're back to square one. What a waste of
time for everyone involved but I just can't see the rest of my class being
made to suffer. Don't let yourself become a policeman. They don't pay you
enough and besides.....you are being paid to teach only. Personally I'd
start with the ring-leaders. The followers generally fall into place when
they don't have a leader.

I always start wishing for the semester/quarter to end and look forward to a
new group of kids. There's not much else you can do. I hope you have good
admin. support. You really need it to win this one. Toodles....Bunki

---