Re: more difficult class

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 16:42:14 PDT

kellym2811@aol.com wrote:

> I have a third grade class that has never had a good day. Their work
> is very low, but they are not low kids. They are my last class of the
> day which doesnt help things. They will not clean up after themselves,
> the talking is constant, even when I am giving directions.

My fourth period HS class is like that; I felt like I was teaching three
different classes at once (the six who care, the immature boys, the
lethargic ones). I have stopped nagging; they have five minutes at the
end of class to clean (not the 15 minutes they used to have and didn't
use), and it can't be the same students each day. If the room is not
clean to my satisfaction, they don't leave. Period. I told them I
don't care if they have to catch the bus, they can hitchhike home if
they miss it. Works great!

Since they're your last class, can you keep them 'til the end of the
school day? Maybe send one more letter home first warning their parents
you might keep them?

Eesh, they sound awful.

Maggie

---