Difficult thirds To Kelly-long

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 16:36:56 PDT

We have just put a written, very specific behavior policy in place at
our school.
It spells out infractions and consequences. Sometimes the mix of
students is not a good one, and sometimes the classroom teacher has no
control and it doesn't change when they come to art. I would ( 2cents
here) do paper activities until they calm down- When I get a rowdy
group, I will go and get them from their room, stopping in the hall, etc
if there is noise, etc. I am not above sending a third grader to the
office, but I don't think I've ever had to. ( 6th grader is more
likely). I have worksheets, etc that I send them with, I tell the
Secretary, principal, whoever is there that This student chose through
behavior to work in here today.We also use Mega skills, Active
listening, truth, trust, no put downs, etc. All students are to follow
these. We get some that move in who have behavior issues. (I know your
school gets them, too.)I am grateful, that this year I have no real
behavior problems- If I did, I'd go nuts because my schedule is so nuts(
But not as nuts as the art teacher that sees 1200 kids a week!). My
teachers are supportive,. If there is an opportunity to praise, then do
it, they really do want to hear it. "I like the way table 3 is ready",
etc. works for me everytime. With my 1sts, I have to laugh, because I
get a serious look on my face and ask the disruptive student if their
Mom thinks they are sitting and being a listener? They all say yes and
then settle down because I will suggest we call her and tell her what's
really going on!. ( smile) I have had a 5th grader call their mom from
my room and tell her that they were being disruptive. That was VERY
effective. Also, Never Let them see you sweat.
sorry so rambling.
Betsy

> I have a third grade class that has never had a good day. Their work
> is very low, but

---