Re: Old perserved animals

---------

From: Virginia Rockwood (wckdstpm_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 15:45:55 PDT

Caryn,

I don't know about the chemicals used in the process of taxidermy, however,
the drawings and paintings I've gotten from students who work "directly from
the animal" are fantastic (from grade one through middle school). I've got a
stuffed pheasant that has been posed with leaves and pinecones and branches,
etc. for wonderful wildlife "still-lifes." No magazine photos necessary
for reference! The bird was going to be thrown out, so I saved it. Keep
them covered to keep dust off, and don't let the kids touch them. I envy
your many animals.

Enjoy,

Ginny Rockwood
Brattleboro Area Middle School