Re: difficult class

---------

From: barb cicchelli (bcriverspirit_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 06:51:56 PDT

 If they are misusing your supplies, make them bring their own supply box(with pencil,ruler,scissors,crayons,markers,glue etc) Some of them probably won't have any but I bet most of them do. Ask classroom teacher to have them bring it. Most of my kids do anyway -and then I have a help yourself table for kids who don't have their own.For bad classes a few things seem to work-1.projects they love-ie copper tooling, clay ,perspective etc.2.Super structure-assigned seats and structured projects with calm beginnings-like draw along with me stuff for the first part involving just pencil, ruler, paper I do love Harry Wong-a signal for attention and wait for that attention I also give warnings in a calm voice ie "James that's a warning" Third warning removes them from class-of course serious misbehavior removes them right away. You could also give out minutes for misbehavior that they would owe you at recess, lunch etc-"James that's a minute in a calm voice, if they answer back "Tha!
t's 2 minutes " I have gotten up to 5 sometimes if the kid is in a snit. You can also try Points -I usually give 5 for good behavior, 5 for good art, and 5 for good clean-up-only use this in extreme situations cuz it is a pain Good luck,you'll be surprised when the class beginns to turn around and you almost find yourself liking them
  Bill Sechler <BillSe@fsusd.k12.ca.us> wrote: You will have to teach them something they want to learn and only you can teach them. Children love to draw and color, let them know the rules for art time and enforce it fairly and without anger. Do animal or monster drawing, use the eye candy of the magic of art to entice them to participate.

>>> csmitha43@hotmail.com 10/24 12:58 PM >>>
I am a beginning art teacher with a bit of a problem. I travel between
three schools. The problem is that the children treat me like a
substitute teacher. They throw my supplies, break my crayons, and talk
back to me. I have tried bribing them with candy. That doesn't work. I
have tried Harry Wong and set procedures. But the children don't follow
them. Nor do they try to listen. I am not getting any help from the
principal, or the classroom teacher. How do I check this situation before
it becomes more of a war zone. Do I let the children sit all hour until
they listen? (I tried, but it became ugly) Should I have the children
write out the rules and procedures? Then have their parents sign it? I
am about ready to cry. My other classes are just fine. If something
happens, I don't have to raise my voice. I just give them the look, and
say, "Get back to work." It doesn't work for this sixth grade class. I
need suggestions.

Carrie