faux pas/Polluck

---------

From: Trish Gorman (TrishGorman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 18:25:19 PDT

Speaking about spelling correctly leads to pronouncing correctly.
Once upon a time when I was younger, I was at a meeting where someone was relating a story about how badly she had messed something up. I perked up with "Gee, wasn't that a faux pas"--pronouncing it just as it looks in English. The people around the table all split a gut over that one. The woman who started it all said, "What a "faux up" that was!" (you know how that would sound in English!)
So in Spanish, Polluck would be...