Re: difficult class

---------

From: Bill Sechler (BillSe_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 14:00:13 PDT

You will have to teach them something they want to learn and only you can teach them. Children love to draw and color, let them know the rules for art time and enforce it fairly and without anger. Do animal or monster drawing, use the eye candy of the magic of art to entice them to participate.

>>> csmitha43@hotmail.com 10/24 12:58 PM >>>
I am a beginning art teacher with a bit of a problem. I travel between
three schools. The problem is that the children treat me like a
substitute teacher. They throw my supplies, break my crayons, and talk
back to me. I have tried bribing them with candy. That doesn't work. I
have tried Harry Wong and set procedures. But the children don't follow
them. Nor do they try to listen. I am not getting any help from the
principal, or the classroom teacher. How do I check this situation before
it becomes more of a war zone. Do I let the children sit all hour until
they listen? (I tried, but it became ugly) Should I have the children
write out the rules and procedures? Then have their parents sign it? I
am about ready to cry. My other classes are just fine. If something
happens, I don't have to raise my voice. I just give them the look, and
say, "Get back to work." It doesn't work for this sixth grade class. I
need suggestions.

Carrie