Re: artsednet digest: October 22, 2001

---------

From: Y.R. Brown (imaniyo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 13:36:09 PDT

Hi Judy,

I am on the artsednet list too. I was thinking maybe a solution for your
Seniors or any student that is not on task or seems apathetic is to develop
some service learning opportunities for them or extensions of the classroom
experience. Maybe they can go to the local Sr.Citizens Ctr. and teach what
they have learned in your class or they can tutor their underclass peers. I
would also venture to say that they could easily develop and implement an
art book drive for their school, an elementary school, or a school in West
Africa (I have a project they could contribute to.).

The students could also develop a puppet show about some of the artist
they've learned about and present the show at the local library or at local
elementary and middle schools. They could even begin to shadow college
students in art programs or even work with a local arts council on a public
art project. They can begin to make art objects, that can be sold to raise
money for the art program (with a percentage kept for the artists). I would
also encourage them to start a visual and written journal about their
experiences as art students in high school. They can trade their journals
or share excerpts with art students in another county, city or country. I'd
even investigate how they can create a newsletter or a regular article about
art that they can publish in the local area or on-line

I do hope my ideas are not too lofty. I am always working to engage folks
of all ages with the arts. I think we forget that anything we do all the
time can lose its cachet. Helping your students reconnect to art in a new
way may re-energize them and you. Please remember that you do not have to
do this alone, recruit parents, administrators, community members to help
you. You are helping to build a better citizen of the world and you should
not be wholly responsible for doing that alone. I am glad that the
artsednet list is available to all of us, it helps us empower ourselves and
others. Good luck friend!

Warm Regards,

Yolanda R. Brown

LIVE THE WORDS...REAP THE REWARDS!

To decide to live at the level of choice is to take responsibility
and be in control of your life. Arbie M. Dale

“Self worth cannot be verified by others. You are a worthy person because
you say it is so. If you depend on others for your
  value it is other-worth.” Wayne Dyer-Your Erroneous Zones

Be prepared, curious and vigilant! Yolanda R. Brown

Be the change you wish to see in the world. Mahatma Gandhi

Vision looks inward and becomes duty.
Vision looks outward and becomes aspiration.
Vision looks upward and becomes faith. Author unknown
computer.