Re(2): am i a terrible teacher?

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 18:53:17 PDT

As I have been reading the part about the terrible teacher and special ed
students, I am going to add my two cents here. The special ed students
who really get under my skin are the ones who come in thinking they dont
have to do anything, want to sleep or visit, and most of the time fail
only because I have nothing to grade. A total lack of self-motivation,
they get into trouble because they don't want to be there in the first
place, I spend all my time trying to keep them on task and yes, I do have
a regular ed student whose parents observed a class, and have brought it
to the district that their daughter is not getting the art education she
hoped to because I am spending all my time working with students who don't
want to be there, discipline in other words. They have a lawyer. They
are not blaming me. My lessons are great but when I spend 20 minutes in
the hallway having to have a conference with misbehaved students, and they
are special ed, it takes away from their daughters education. Even as
special ed they are on the recommended plan, have to have a Fine Arts
credit, choir had them removed, hence, my class. Boy is this a run on or
what!. I do understand the modification but gee come on people you have
to have something to modify. The only way a student fails my class is by
not don't anything. I have the same expectations for special ed as
others, they turn it in, then I modify by seeing what they were able to
do. There is a strong difference between capability and laziness. Most
student want you to expect more.

Jackie Aust
Bryan Texas
austart@bryanisd.org