Re: Special Ed Students in Art

---------

From: Jean Eger Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 20:31:43 PDT

I have a class with a lot of Special Ed students and some regular students
also. They complained that a mask project was too hard for them, so I
started them on value studies, which I think is harder. They love to draw.
They were working at it like champions. They work so hard! They produce
more work than any of my other classes, who are so busy at socializing that
it is difficult to get some art in there. The severely learning disabled
really enjoy being in that class with the other kids. Their eyes are as big
as saucers and they love to see the high-jinks the other kids happily
provide. It's a 3-ring circus, but we get a lot of art done. They all work
well with handouts, so I try to have one every day. Except today when we
drew the clothed figure. (Two teachers posed, then a student volunteered to
model.) There are lots of adults present and that helps too. I don't
expect the LD kids to do much, but sometimes they try!
Jean Eger Womack
San Francisco
http://www.jeaneger.com

---