Re: special ed

---------

From: barb cicchelli (bcriverspirit_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 09:46:24 PDT

 I teach elem. and usually what I try to do is have the special ed classes twice-once by themselves and once mainstreamed-and it works great-the mainstreamed kids are familiar with the project in the inclusive situation-having done it with me in a small group . I did have to lobby for this with administration-they didn't want to give me a separate section for special ed. and mainstreamed but I've won out so far.

Rdunkelart@aol.com wrote:

> So inclusion is good for the students
> that are
> "normal" to learn to be compassionate an d helpful. Just my two cents.

Thank you, Sidnie and Roberta, for putting my thoughts into words. I've
had inclusion in my HS classes for many years; I've been very fortunate
to work with SpEd teachers who do what's best for the KIDS and not
themselves. It's a win-win situation for everyone--me, the SpEd
students, and the regular ed students. Yeah, it can be extra work and
sometimes pretty scary, but in the end everyone benefits.

An excellent resource is Exceptional Children, Exceptional Art by David
R. Henley.

Maggie