Re: am i a terrible teacher?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 09:28:59 PDT

wjbaas@execpc.com wrote:

> Just had a conference with a Mom who says her son told her I wouldn't help him.
>
> My response was that I could explain and demonstrate, and encourage, but I will
> not do the work for him. the kid's arm was in the air very 5 seconds asking for
> help. He even had reference material, a 1 on 1 demo etc. etc,. etc. it seems
> today's students are ok till they have to think for themselves.

I just attended an inservice on Friday where Fred Jones spoke. He
addressed this very issue, calling them the Helpless Handraisers. You
do have to wean them from that. He was an excellent speaker and I got
quite a few ideas from him that I implemented just yesterday. His book,
Tools for Teaching, rates up there with Harry Wong's.

Maggie

---