Re:statue of lilbery

---------

From: dennycat (dennycat_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 20:16:39 PDT

I once made 'personality' totem poles with grade 6 kids and they stood
about 9 ft high. I used a 2ft square wooden base, long slim metal bars (
the kind with holes that you would hook wall mounted shelving into) for
the spine and L brackets to attach the metal bars to the base then
covered the whole thing in chicken wire. Because the totem was in
sections we created about 4 sections , each over two feet, individually
then slide them down the pole and connected them with other 'sewing
wire'. Covered the whole thing in newspaper and wall paper glue and then
tempera paint. If I were to do it again I would definitely use brown
paper bags and white glue and acrylic paint. I live in a very humid
climate and the wall paper glue went moldy and the local populations of
cockroaches ate the starch soaked paper. You could also try making your
support and sculpting the body using carved pieces of stryrofoam from a
packaging company. I've made sculptures with this in the past when I
found a mountain of the stuff from the delivery of a bunch of new
computers. I think there is an artist that uses this then covers it in
fibreglass - Patricia Renick- made the voltswagon into
Stegowagenvolkssaurus. Good Luck and keep laughing,Glad to be back on
the list,( I have a very busy 3yr old, a 5yr old, am working full-time
and commute 3 hours a day so I find it difficult to contribute at times)
Catharine in Hong KOng

---