Re: Learning & Special ed

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 19:14:08 PDT

One thing about these kids--some spend the whole day in a classroom with 6
other spec.ed kids. The best thing about coming to my class is that they
get to be with other kids in a more real life situation. No, they
probably won't learn anything about art, especially if you have a high
level class set for college bound artists--however, they can do
something--in my advanced art class I have 3 students who are very low,
can't read at all etc.--they work with clay, help each other, carve into
chunks of plaster and paint stuff. I'm not going to torture them with
learning about value and facial proportion and perspective--it will only
require them to have someone else (aide etc.) come in and do it for
them--for what? I don't have kids who don't want to be there--now at that
I would draw a line in the sand, but if they enjoy being there and don't
interrupt others and enjoy working on their projects-I'm good with that.

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #
# Elko, NV 89801 #