Re: Learning & Special ed (LONG)

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 18:32:59 PDT

KSchiavo00@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/22/2001 4:54:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> c.sandeson@ns.sympatico.ca writes:
>

> There is no doubt that mainstreaming special ed has its benifits
> at the elementary level. It is at the Secondary level where I hold a
> firm opinion against it. There are no aids for them here in my room-
> just me.

I need to jump in here. As an elementary teacher who has every student
from AdD to Autistic to a student who comes in a wagon and EVERTYHING in
between, I must agree that the law lumped everyone labled sp. ed into
one column and said that all spec ed should be mainstreamed.
This is a narrow limited view of education and a law passed by people
who , IMHHO have not been in a classroom for years. Many LD students
benefit and can even find a niche in art, but the sp ed with more severe
disabilities only become frustrated and their self esteem suffers.
It doesn't work in the elementary schools any better than it does in the
HS. Modifications are all well and good, but I'm not talking about
giveng 3 less assignments than the rest of the group. I make serious
modifications for some of my students but know in my heart that If I
could have them in a small group with tailor made lessons, they would be
getting a whole lot more out of the educational system.
I only have an aide for part of the period because one of my spec ed
students tried to cut off a little girl's finger. The rest of my spec
kids don't come with an aide.
there just in there with 30 other kids.
Thanks, I feel much better now.
Betsy