Re: Special Ed Students in Art

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 17:25:16 PDT

Thanks for sharing your story Sarah - it was definately thought provoking,
and I agree whole heartedly. Sure I would love to teach only dedicated hard
working students who create prize winning projects on a regular basis. What
I have are a group of students who enjoy the process of creating art. Some
are finished in 3 minutes and want to make another one (and this is high
school!). Some are hard working special ed kids who just don't "get it", but
they try their little hearts out. Having taught these students for the past
8 years I know their skill level and grade according to effort and
improvement shown. Right or wrong, it is the only way my program will
survive, and I am satisfied.
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> By Federal Law a class in the public school system is to be of BENIFIT for
> the student.
>
> Be careful,an Art Teacher or school can be sued by a parent of a special
> ed. student for not providing modifications and etc.

---