Re: figure drawing lesson

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 15:27:15 PDT

Hey Carolyn and fellow artsednetters,
I do 2 weeks of figure drawing from a model in Art II before a painting
project where they have to include people. I start off with big sponge
paint brushes (the kind you get 25 from Lowe's for $2.50) and do gesture
drawings in ink- capturing the essence of the pose in as fewest marks
possible. We continue with gesture drawings in vine charcoal where you do
the model in 3 poses keeping one of the feet in the same position. I got
this idea from a really great NAEA presentation (I think you were at it
Carolyn) and she called it "hot foot" because the students emphasize the
overlapping foot with a warm color. Then, I do one more gesture project
using fluorescent crayons and really good quality watercolors. It's a
crayon resist. It sounds elementary but the results are stunning. In fact,
I'm thinking about bringing the crayon resist lesson to share at our
secondary meeting at NCAEA this weekend (Aren't you proud of me, Linda?).
By the way, who is coming to the NCAEA convention? Is SAX still providing
stickers for our name tags?

Michelle H. Harrell
http://harrell.srhs.net
michelle_h_harrell@hotmail.com