Learning & Special ed (LONG)

---------

KSchiavo00_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 15:16:09 PDT

In a message dated 10/22/2001 4:54:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
c.sandeson@ns.sympatico.ca writes:

> I do so
> admire HS art teachers that have their curricula planned to the point
> where they have time to make these posters and give copies of lessons
> to the learning center teacher.

       Actually, those recommendations are suggested for all students- low to
high learning levels. The posters illustrating each stage of each project
probably originated in some behaviorists dream- and in most cases remains
there. However, if you have extra time (as we all do-right) to make these
posters- do so because once again, the majority will profit from them -I am
sure.
       There is no doubt that mainstreaming special ed has its benifits at
the elementary level. It is at the Secondary level where I hold a firm
opinion against it. There are no aids for them here in my room- just me. I
go from highly accelerated students to students who have no clue or in some
cases struggle to stay attentive. Most special ed students do not have the
option of taking art. When they come to class, they think they should be
able to do/draw anything they want. When they find out its "structured" and
there are specific requirements, Art class bedcomes very hard and frustrating
for them (as it does for many general ed students). I guess I could change
my curriculum to reflect just arts & crafts (more hands on, less history,
critique, career/college prep)
       Its also very big here that the kids don't feel like they are labled
as special ed. So I can't really leave them out of the testing and
critiques- cause I wouldn't want them to feel bad. Go figure! Were not
even allowed to have Special Ed section in the yearbook with kids pictures.
Sorry, I'm rambling now. I just want to say that I had a class of 13- non
mainstreamed special ed students when I worked at the middle school and the
work they produced was awesome! We made a group "Sunshine" quilt out of
paper, teasure boxes, vases, finger puppets and monoprints. We even kept
sketchbooks which incorporated more collage. It was a very successful class.
 I just think a similar class would be more beneficial to these students.

---