Re: Wire Sculpture

---------

From: Sue Stewart (Sue_Stewart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 07:10:08 PDT

I use the Calder's Circus video as my basis - rules are that the wire
sculpture has to have at least one moving part - we use telephone wire,
junk wire and all sorts of other stuff that the kids bring in - for awhile
I used wooden blocks as bases - just had a friend cut crude ones and used
liquid metal as glue - but now many of their sculptures are self
supporting and still move - really heavy cardboard will work in some cases
-especially if it is painted or gessoed. My sculptures are usually small
- less than 12 inches tall - sometimes they make groupings such as
playgrounds with kids -once I had a space station with astronauts that
moved in and out on monofilament.

Sue E. Stewart
Sumner High School

---