Special Ed Students in Art

---------

From: Sara Scheid (scheidsa3_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 01:47:18 PDT

Someone else wrote
Unfortunately for them, my curriculum is set up as college prep course....

I can't believe this statement.
For Art Teachers which is more important?
Teaching the student or teaching my curriculum.

I have seen both sides.
I am an Art Teacher who has taught Special Ed Students.
I am a mother of a Special Ed Student.
He was on the Honor Roll.
He took Art classes with modifications. The standards or grading for an
art project was not lowered. But if the class usually did 16 projects he
usually did 12 to 14 projects. He was graded for what he did. He took all
tests but had extended time to complete.

After High School he went into the Marines and became a Scout Sniper.
The last time we fought Iran he went on Special Forces Missions in Iran.
While he was over there he wrote me and his High School Art Teacher
to thank us for teaching him how to draw. He said it came in handy on his
missions. His drawings were used on future missions.
An Art Teacher does not only teach future fine artists. We teach people
who may defend the USA.

By Federal Law a class in the public school system is to be of BENIFIT for
the student.

Be careful,an Art Teacher or school can be sued by a parent of a special
ed. student for not providing modifications and etc.

Sara Scheid

scheidsa3@home.com

---