Re: mainstreaming

---------

From: barbara antebi (artgal50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 09:36:01 PDT

Hi Kathy and all you other frustrated art teachers out there,

I understand and share your frustration with mainstreaming special ed into the art curriculum. I have learned over the years that the art room has become the dumping ground for these kids in order to satisfy the inclusion laws. We have 33 students in each Art 1 class at our high school and with all the different levels (9th-12th grade) in the classes that in itself is a tremendous challange. Add Special Ed and Bic kids to the pot and it is almost impossible to teach. I find that you must stay your ground with the administration, call ARD's and insisit on an aide to help the kids.

For years I have asked to teach a special art class with regular ed kids there to assist the special needs kids (this would satisfy the inclusion law) and of course it never happens. With class loads as large as ours it is impossible for me to give the needed time and assistance that our special population needs and I find it unfair to the regular ed population. So what can we do?...........

Barb in Texas