Re: mainstreaming- new thread

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 06:29:05 PDT

Christine,

This is something that art, pe, and career tech teachers have in common.
Many of your academic courses do not deal the the numbers as we do. The
may have 3 to 4 but never 15 plus. I have the same. Most students are
not motivated, don't wish to be there, and fail due to lack of doing
anything. I often wonder why we dont have a special ed. art class, we
have it for academic areas. When I showed the counselors our TEKS in the
state of Texas, should them the students expectations to meet those
standards, they commentted, "No wonder these students have a hard time
passing, I think I would have a hard time passing" My question to them
was, "Why do you mainstream them into a class that requires math,
reading, history, self-motivation, extra hours for outside work, thinking
skills (HOTS)."

On the flip side, yes I do have students who can't do in even their
consult classes but succeed in my art class. I think the key is having
them in a class where they have no motivation to be there in the first
place.

Jackie Aust
Bryan Texas
austart@bryanisd.org