Re: HUGE paper mache sculpture - help?

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 22:42:26 PDT

In a message dated 10/19/2001 11:20:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dwheeler@andrews.esc18.net writes:

> We're want to build a Statue of Liberty about 12' tall( standing on a 4'X4'X
> 10" platform, so she is actually going to be 11' tall. Anyone done anything
> this size?? Suggestions, pitfalls, instructions, are welcome!!!!! Thanks in
> advance!!! Deb W

Hi, Deb! I made a 20ft high by 30ft long dinosaur years ago with my
elementary kids (should be included in "the projects I'd never do again"
thread because it took forever to complete). It came out fantastic and was
suprisingly sturdy. Anyway, the base was chicken wire and we used Pritt Art
Paste.

Here's my tip to success: use brown grocery bags instead of newspaper. Cut
or tear the brown grocery bags into strips and soak them in water overnight
to soften the paper. Wring out and dip into paste. Don't use the bottoms of
the bags. When it dries you will have a nice hard and smooth "shell". We
only had to put two layers on and it was ready to paint. Good luck! I have
a very very easy way of creating a 6ft tall statue using plastercraft a la
George Segal. If you reconsider the size, e-mail me and I'll explain that
way to you. That one only takes an hour a day for 5 days to finish!

 P.S....The dinosaur was so huge that we couldn't get it through the door and
so it never went on display outside the double classroom in which it was
created. LOL... So, make sure you work in an area with a doorway that allows
you to move it to where you want it to ultimately be!
Hope this helps. Susan on Long Island

---