Re: re: am i a terrible teacher?

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 17:19:15 PDT

you said the kids are angry that they didn't have enough time, but it sounds to
me like they did have time and didn't make use of it-- don't let them make you
feel like a terrible teacher if they had 9 weeks!
As far as grading goes, I would take grades at different points along the way
during the nine weeks so it doesn't come down to all or nothing at the end. I
divide the long projects up into steps and grade several times. For example on
 a sculpture I grade initial sketches, armatures, construction and then
finished products. I also throw in quiz or notebook grades about the content/
concepts that go with the project. My rubrics sometimes have a line in them
about appropriate use of time so kids can earn some of their grade by working
during class, and projects that get botched in their final stage still get
credit for the effort along the way.

---