re: am i a terrible teacher?

---------

From: nancy kizis (smokealarm7_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 16:21:44 PDT

to anyone who has experienced this,
i have a combined art 2 - 4 class. they have just finished a large self portrait that took about 9 weeks from initial intro to turn in date (we are on the block schedule). that may be the problem right there. anyway, come due date everyone is in shock and whining and making excuses for why their work isn't done.
i have circulated the room re-teaching media techniques the entire time. some days i would stay on their butts to quit talking and get to work. i'm not a yeller just real matter of fact that you have x number of days left and i see you talking. is there something you are stuck on that i could help with?
out of 25 kids, 3 had original ideas on their preliminary sketches. all the rest were cliched. no one came after school for help the entire time.i constantly offer it. 2 students worked during the day extra time on theirs. the last weekend before due day everyone was panicked, checked out supplies, took them home. on due day, 4 kids didn't remember to even bring the project back, turned in late (-10 pts per day) unfinished. the majority of the class is angry that they didn't have enough time!
am i a terrible teacher? am i expecting too much. 90% of what got turned in is poorly done in all regards. is there anyway to salvage this without having to fail 20 of 25 kids? our school doesn't like for people to fail. i'm panicked.
please help if you can,
thanks
nancy kizis

---