We built Lady Liberty a few years ago and are giving her an overhaul this
year. Ours is oly 9 feet tall, though. I used pvc pipe set into a piece of
plywood. I anchored the pipe with some thingies from the hardware store.
They look like copper or brass strips with a ring on one end and are fastened
to the wood on the other. I used expandable wire, chicken wire, burlap
dipped in glue, and pariscraft for the "innards" and when whe was sturdy
enough, the kids applied the papier mache. One caveat: while I was putting
her together, she started to lean, and consequently has a rather large
avoirdupois! I hae four or five kids per class work on her, so everyone who
wants to gets a chance. We used green xerox paper for the last layer. She
has survived a couple of trips on a pick up truck, a parade, an ethnic
festival, and an art show, and was looking a bit haggard, so she's getting a
face and body lift. It seems like the right time.