Re: Using sources for projects!

---------

From: Bill Sechler (BillSe_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 07:51:53 PDT

Copying any "copyrighted" art work is infringement if the work is sold, young students are not going to profit momentarily from their copying photos or other pictures in magazines or books therfore they are not competing with the copyright owner. Many "old masters" copied one another to learn from each other, i.e. Raphael copied both Leonardo and Michangelo, Van Gogh copied many artists including Japaese prints he collected in his Paris visit. Encourage creative and individualistic changes to their use of pictures as a resource since polar bears and other things may be unavailable in your classroom other than books and magazines. Creativity and originality can be taught and learned, the best example I know of is Van Gogh. I personally believe whatever inspires a student to improve their drawing and keep them drawing can't be all bad.

>>> kylerayne@yahoo.com 10/18 4:15 PM >>>
     I am a college student who is about to graduate
with my endorsement in art education. I have recently
been to a school doing some observation and got into a
heated discussion over whether or not it is acceptable
for junior high and high school students to use
sources in their own work. An example might be
painting a bear that the students found a photo of in
a National Geographic magazine. What the students are
doing is not copyright infringement because their
works are not identical to their sources. They are
only using the sources as a form of inspiration from
which they can grow. The teacher I was in the
argument with claimed that in is unethical as an art
teacher to allow students to do this. I strongly
disagree with her. I feel that if you want to paint,
draw, or sculpt something, you have to be able to look
at it. However, when you are restricted to a certain
classroom or community, this is not possible. By
using sources, and documenting them with the works, I
feel that it allows the students to expand their
creativeness and explore a wide variety of things
through their art.