Re: cartooning lessons

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 19:35:48 PDT

>Does anyone have any good cartooning lessons I could use with my HS kids?
>am looking for Anime, comic book style, or newspaper style (far side,
>Calvin
>& Hobbes, etc.)- all of the above would be even better as I want to do a
>different lesson with each level. Any help you could give would be greatly
>appreciated, as this really is something I know NOTHING about! Thank
>ou! -Michelle mmolnar@theriver.com
>

>Michelle,
My advice would be to pick one style and develop different lessons around
that style as the three you have chosen are very different in the way they
are done.

A couple of big things I always stress to my students is (1)comic books and
comic strips are drawn much bigger than they are reproduced... my students
always seem to want to draw the same size they see. (2)except in rare cases,
more than one person works on each individual work.
Dark Horse Comics (http://www.darkhorse.com) used to have a packet you could
request to try out for different jobs in the comic book industry. There was
writer (as in script writer), artist (designing art from a script), inker
(fine tuning and blacking in pencil sketches) and letterer (drawing in the
word balloons and writing the dialogue in them)

Big things are possible in this industry (go see how much Alex Ross sells a
pencil sketch for now--http://www.alexrossart.com and click on original art
for sale. (how many "fine artists" can sell a sketch of a couple of legs for
$100)

There are also people attempting to do both comics and comic
strips--http://www.strangersinparadise.com

There are even schools devoted to this kind of
art--http://www.joekubert.com/kubertschool/kubertschool.htm

Have some of your kids who are into this kind of thing bring in some
examples.. (be careful, there are works out there not suitable for
school--especially in the world of anime)

Even better, if you have a comic book or anime store in your area go visit
and see what is available and what your kids are into. There are men and
women working and making a good living in this field that is too often
frowned upon by those making and teaching "fine art"

Donald Peters