Re: Louise Nevelson

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 20:58:15 PDT

In a message dated 10/15/2001 9:53:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
phimmelberg@hotmail.com writes:

> >I know they could do the process, but I don't think they're really going to
> >"get" it. Do you think I should save Nevelson for some of my older
> >students?
>
> First graders dont "get" things on adult terms. If they can handle the
> process then by all means do it... 6 year olds are not developed
> sufficiently to respond as adults.

First, I would establish what the goals of this learning experience will be
for this grade level and gear it to that level. Also, IMO, children need to
relate the learning experience to their own life experience. So, you might,
for example, want to begin the lesson by asking how many have ever played
with stacking blocks.

 Perhaps you could approach this lesson by teaching them about 3-D vs. 2-D
shapes and what they are called. For example, by using wood cubes,
cylinders, and pyramids in their assemblages, you could reinforce that
vocabulary. In this way, the Nevelson lesson becomes appropriate for this
grade level. I also think that just exposing them to Nevelson and her work
is an exciting goal in itself! I actually feel that exposing the children to
a wide variety of art and artists helps them develop a perspective and
appreciation of art. This can be (and should be) done at ANY age.

Susan on Long Island

---