Re: Mac Help Please

---------

From: melissa (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 01:03:39 PDT

On 10/15/01 1:43 AM, "Woody Duncan" <wduncan@kc.rr.com> wrote:

> My triplet grandkids are getting too good on the old
> i-Mac I set up for them. I know there must be someway
> to limit their access to all the items on the computer.
> I'd like them to stay with Reader Rabbit and quit turning
> this and that on and off. Can someone clue me in.
> They get curious and start
> clicking on everything. I could also use suggestions for
> early pre school software. They have just turned three
> and are only starting to count to ten and learn their abc's.
> Any suggestions would be welcome.
> Thanks, Woody in KC

Woody,
What version of Mac OS are you using? Under OS 9 and above, there is a nifty
thing called "Multiple Users" that lets you configure your Mac differently
for all your various users. For example, for the little kids, you can set
it up in Panels environment, where only the programs you have specified show
up and can be opened. They can't even see the system folder, etc., so they
can't accidentally move or mess with it. The icons are big and click as a
button. Then for older (or more capable) people you can give them more
access and privileges, with the interface looking more like the typical Mac.
You can find Multiple Users under the control panels. If you need help, let
me know. At the school I teach at in West Africa, we're using a larger
version of Multiple Users for use over a network. It has worked great - even
the 3 year olds can navigate to the programs they want and the big kids
haven't accessed the things they shouldn't.

---