Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Allergic to Clay?

From: LEO DAVINCE (ytsirk_uno_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 18:42:24 PDT

--- Sharon Henneborn <> wrote:
> There are safe ways to handle clay and we all need
> to educate
> ourselves to make sure we are not making serious
> trouble for ourselves
> down the road. .....
> Do I have your attention? As you can tell I have
> very strong feelings
> about this.
> You certaintly have my attention if not my feelings
of fear and apprehension.
I realize what you are saying is very true and I can
not argue with your information. An incident in our
school district, where a high school ceramic area was
not attended to over several years lead to a build up
of dust, causing a staff member respiratory problems.
The school board here decided to ban the use of clay
entirely from all our schools. This was very
upsetting to me, since clay has been a highly
motivating material for students to work with.
I also agree that clay be used safetly in a school
environment if teacher and students are made aware of
dust problems and how to control them with proper
clean up. I feel that for elementary schools using
clay in the classroom does not present near the same
dust build up or health problems as would a high
school or college ceramic course, that may use clay on
a daily basis.
How do you feel about clay in elementary schools and
what are your recommendations to the proper and safe
use of this material? Is there a test or way of
determining which students may be allegeric to clay?
a skin exposure test?

> ------
> <>

Do You Yahoo!?