RE: Crayon Resist

---------

From: kimberly herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 17:04:56 PDT

I've found that water color or caked tempera (Best) works better than
thinned tempera for this project. If you have to use thinned tempera -
dip the paint brush in black tempera and rinse it off in the water,
until the water is gray black.

The kids really have to press hard, so I put out mostly used or broken
crayons. I found the kids were more open to the idea of pressing hard
and risking breaking them this way. (Often they would be punished at
school for breaking crayons or pealing the paper off) Also they would
use the side to cover large areas this way.

Good heavy paper instead of copy paper also helped. Sometimes I would
have the kids apply the paint using wet on wet (especially if I thought
the kids had not pressed hard enough).

When the kids finished painting I had them blot their paper with paper
towels, let it dry then sometimes have them polish it with a paper towel

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert