Re: Warhol.... and character development

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 09:24:13 PDT

Judy, I'm glad you posted this. It was my comment comparing Warhol and
Madonna, but all my reference material is at school and I didn't want to
post anything I couldn't back up. I orignally made the above comment in
reference to marketing concepts and personal morals - something that was
discussed extensively in my college classes a decade ago. I personally don't
believe that Warhol had this unbelieveable talent - rather, his artwork was
a reaction to the television inundating the public with ads that they were
unused to receiving. His ideas were new and unique, and that is what I
believe is his contribution to the artworld. Who else could make a 3 hour
movie (with no sound) of people getting a haircut, and actually make money
on it? :-)
~Michal
whest177@wheatstate.com
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> If you can get your hands on the Warhol videos (review below) -- you will
> see the concern. I like to show videos to my students about the
"character"
> of the artists we learn about (learning why an artist created the way
> he/she did is also part of the curriculum). Granted all artist have
> character flaws (Leonardo was brought up on sodomy charges -- video does
> mention his attraction to boys). The videos on Warhol SHOW this behavior
> (and the interviews with Warhol on the video are very disturbing)....and
it
> is difficult to skip -- or edit out.

---