Re: K-5 Plans

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 07:42:31 PDT

For my lesson ideas I look EVERYWHERE! I keep up to date on what the classroom teachers are doing and see if I can incorporate their lessons into an art project. Ex. - last year the classroom teachers wanted to create a wildflower quilt, so I split each class into 3 groups and each group drew a different flower. The subject matter really doesn't matter when you are trying to teach concepts. While drawing their quilt square the students were taught these vocabulary words and concepts: parallel lines, detail, balance, realistic, shape. (This was K-2). When 6th grade studies Egypt in Social Studies then I work on our Egyptian masks, 5th grade studies Mayan culture than in art we learn to write our name in Mayan glyphs. I also have each year mapped out to a point - I know that in 4th grade we will study Impressionism, Pointallism, and Op Art for our art movements. They will weave on looms and make potholders (small, I know, but these take 4 weeks to make). They will leave 4th grade with a firm understanding of Van Gogh and Seurat and will be able to identify works by these artists. I am constantly looking for ideas - and I find them in art lesson books, famous paintings, craft magazines, etc. I personally get bored teaching the same lessons over and over, so I am constantly trying new things. The subject matter changes constantly, but the content stays the same.There are alot of lesson ideas posted on this list as well, so it is more a matter of narrowing down! *S*
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

Thank you ALL for your advice. May I ask where you get your ideas for your lessons? What resources do you use? Have you planned your whole year? I am concerned about running out of things to do and being inconsistent with the progression of concepts. I am doing some line lessons with all grades and then some shape lessons. How do I know what concepts to teach from there? I want to make sure that I layer the information correctly. I do try to not get too freaked out all at once. I know it is my first year. I cant cover every base, but....... ---

---