Re: Warhol and copying

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 04:54:41 PDT

In a message dated 10/14/2001 3:13:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
pknott@enter.net writes:

> I think it's a very difficult lesson to teach youngsters about the
> appropriation of ideas. I tend to keep my history lessons very separate
> from my problem solving lessons. I give a lot of history, but it is in the
> sense of what made the artist of the time do what he/she did. Concepts and
> observation.
> Ain't nothing wrong with copying concepts
> Lots wrong with copying style without purpose.

Patty, you had an excellent post, and I agree with all the points you have
made. I teach exactly the same way. Intellectually, it is difficult to be
too sophisicated with theory and appropriation of ideas at the elementary
school level, but it can be and should be incorporated into the learning
experience. What grades do you teach? I infuse a lot of famous artists and
their art into my K-5 art program. The children never render, but insead, I
use examples of famous art and artists to teach the elements of art and
concepts that are age appropriate.

For example, my 4th grades had a fantastic discussion about John's American
flag series and his concept of taking an everyday object and transforming it
to make art. And Warhol is valuable in our realm of history as his art ties
in with his views of industrialization and the "Pop"ular culture of our time.
 The elementary school kids can understand the basic ideas and concepts
related to the art and the artists. Sometimes, it is about technique, as in
the Impressionists, and that's o.k, too.

Susan on Long Island

---