Re: Ideas for lessons on colonial American art

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 17:32:30 PDT

a couple of NAEA conferences ago I went to a presentation where they
had the kids make muslin dolls--they all had the same pattern which was a
copy of some early Amer. doll--it was authentic, but I don't have any
info--apparently it was a common design, I think around Civil War times.
The kids created a person based on their history readings and did a doll
of that person. They also did a story about the person. If they wanted
a black doll they soaked the muslin in
coffee. The face was painted, the hair and clothes were sewn--they were
stuffed with polycotton. She said it took a long time but they kids
really got into it and did a wonderful job and learned a lot about the
times.

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #