Illuminated letters-6th gr.

---------

gregjuli_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 08:31:23 PDT

Hi Sandy (and anyone else who is interested),

I start with slides of real Illuminated Letters. The slides also include past
letters done by 6th graders. Then I show the kids how to make a Roman Letter(
we discuss different letter styles) on the board. I draw a stick letter (
capital). I draw a line at the edges of the letter ( like on an A the top
point and at the bottom of the legs- about 1 /12 inches) then outline it
staying about a 1/2 in from the letter form. I emphasize to flare out at the
edges. They practice in their sketch books then draw it on watercolor paper
11x17. I give them a template to trace in the middle of the paper to show them
the area/ how big to make the letter.

 Next we talk about symbolism in the Middle Ages. I have lists of what
different images meant ie. dragon - fear and ignorance. Their design needs to
include at least one image that has a medieval meaning.
I also introduce some basic design rules, it might sound like a lot , but it
really helps in their final designs. I just introduce something new each day.

We used the soy crayons to fill in the letter- Black or a dark color for the
letterand other colors for only the objects in the design. Then use the
design rules for the color also-mainly balance& contrast.
We have a color lesson one day and make a color wheel in the sketchbooks-
focus on tertiary colors.
The background gets a wash of watercolor in a tertiary color.
Then the final touch- they love this--outline the letter with gold metallic
paint marker.
If this sounds confusing I could send you a digital photo.
MaryB

Sandy Bacon wrote:

> Do you mind sharing how you did your letters?
> gregjuli@execpc.com wrote:
> > We just finished doing Illuminated Letters using the resist with the soy
> > crayons.
> Sandy

---