Re: Ghastly gourmet Art and nervous days

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 03:48:22 PDT

In a message dated 10/12/2001 2:37:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Rdunkelart@aol.com writes:

> I used to do a really cute "Witches Sandwich" with the kids but don;t do
> holiday
> stuff much anymore. The kids drew on really narrow paper a sandwich stacked
> as high as possible with layers of meats, cheeses, eyeballs, newts, toads ,\
> lizards, snakes, lettuce, tomato, olives, bats, etc. They looked ghastly
> gourmet. Then with a hole punch we punched holes in the paper and wove
> pink earth worms all through it . Was gross but so much fun.

One of my favorite children's books, Sam's Sandwich, has a similar concept.
The book is constructed like a sandwich. The pages open up and all kinds of
yucky things pop out as Sam's sister adds them to a sandwich she's making for
her brother. Do you show the kids that book before the project? It would be
perfect!

Roberta, I understand how you feel....is everywhere in the U.S. on highest
alert with The National Guard patrolling the streets, subways, airports? Are
cars being stopped on bridges and tunnels and searched like they are in NYC?
Are you uneasy about shopping in malls? I know I'm not alone in my nighttime
nightmares. During the day, when I go about my everyday business I can cope.
 It's the nightmares that are really taking its toll. I'm remembering all
those people that I knew and all the people that we all feel we have known
through their families stories- gone in the WTC attack! I, once the eternal
optimist, am so afraid of the harsh realities and what I think is yet to come.
Susan on Long Island

---