Re: Ideas for lessons on colonial American art

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 19:53:19 PDT

I am interested in creating a unit for my fifth grade classes on American
Colonial art.

Sheri,

Two years ago, I introduced my 5th graders to punched tin design. They made
ornaments in the shapes of birds, stars, hearts, bears, etc., and designed by
punching holes and embossing. We used the heavy gauge aluminum and colored
them with permanent marker. They shimmered like jewels. Patterns are basic
shapes. The kids loved them. If I had had enough material for each student,
I would have liked to have made small candle lanterns.

I did a similiar project idea when I taught punched tin design during a
Mexican unit. They made embossed and bas relief frames and hot glued the
ornamnts to the frames. Their teachers were hitting the kids up to make them
one!

Hope this helps.

Sandy

---