Re: Ideas for lessons on colonial American art

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 19:04:52 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sheri A. Woodard" <swoodard@remc7.k12.mi.us>
To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 9:02 PM
Subject: Ideas for lessons on colonial American art

> Hello Friends
> I am interested in creating a unit for my fifth grade classes on American
> Colonial art. I created a unit last year with my students where they
> studied quilt patterned and colored paper quilt designs. I went ok.
> I was wondering if anyone has a new idea...such as something on paper
> piercing or embossing?

We do tin punched quilt patterns. This is a compilation of colonial art
ideas. We study geometric quilt patterns. Next we work out a design on a
newsprint square using rulers and compasses (we fold the paper several times
to find the center and separate the paper into geometric patterns, it gives
us a starting point). After developing a pattern with pencil, we tape the
newsprint to a matching square of thick tin, and that is taped to a piece of
cardboard. We then punch holes in the lines of our designs with a compass
stylus, or any other strong pointed tool. Finally, we take the newsprint
off, color our tin foil, punched design with permanent markers, peel the
foil off of the cardboard, and staple the finished design to a colored
backing (this keeps the sharp, cheese grater like edges from the holes
covered).

Leah

---