Re: Art Shows

---------

From: Janice Keenan (jekteachme_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 17:21:12 PDT

Here in Miami we have a strong Art Ed program. We have
general meetings a few times throughout the year and
we are consistently corresponding with the Art
Admininstrators for the district (there are three). A
competency based art program was written for
Miami..which really has its roots in DBAE. As far as
Art Shows...we have 5 major ones throughout the year
open to all (K-12)schools..all having different themes
which change each year.They are juried shows but no
ribbons, no best in show or whatever...just
participation ribbons for all whose art work was
accepted. Each school can only submit 3 pieces.
Usually at least one is accepted. We also have two
shows each year that does have awards, ribbons,
etc...one is a watercolor show and the other is the
Miami Youth Fair. The watercolor show is a privately
funded show open to the schools with cash awards. The
Youth Fair is a huge ordeal...catagories in every
aspect (ceramics, painting, drawing, crafts, group
projects, etc.). I feel that it is important to get
the kids art work out there...to let the community to
see. I'm not big on ribbons, placing the kids work,
etc. but if the kid is good in Math, if their good in
Language Arts (writer, speller) they get recognized in
many different aspects but when it comes to
Art...there is not alot of opportunities for these
kids to get recognized...and some of these kids this
is the only area where they excel....its a tricky
situation.
   Jan in Miami