Warhol and copying

---------

From: Juline Chevalier (julinec_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 09:27:37 PDT

I suppose I am what you'd call a "lurker" on this
list...until I see something that bothers me.

In regard to the recent strand on copying and people's
opinions of Warhol I was struck by a post that
compared Warhol to Madonna: "new ideas, lots of
marketing skills, low morals." I take issue with
this. What exactly were Warhol's low morals?

Warhol can be read on many levels...two of which could
lead to interesting discussions with classes about
copying in art production. Warhol's intent was to
remove the artist's hand from the artistic process.
His works highlighted American life as commercial,
depersonalized and repetative.

His work ALSO helps to point out the beautiful and
artistic in the everyday things that surround us. He
turned soup cans into art. Perhaps we can appreciate
our trips to the grocery sore in a new way because of
it. Being able to see the artistic in the every-day
is a gift in my opinion.

I agree that it is awful for judges of art contests to
ignore the rules they set, and I also agree that
copying for anything but practice or getting detail
right (like the duck example) is not acceptable, but I
know that Warhol was not copyig in the same way that a
student would.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents and a whole lot more losse
change:)

-Juline

=====
"Eat well, kiss well, work ditto and you'll die happy." -Gauguin

"But genius is nothing more nor less than childhood recovered at will..." -Baudelaire