'crayon resist'

---------

From: mark alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 06:17:09 PDT

I do crayon resist a lot, especially with the pre-K through 2nd graders. But are we talking about the same thing? I need help with the names of some related techniques.

My understanding of crayon resist is simply to apply watercolor over a crayon drawing. The parts with heavy crayon seem more successful. Light color crayon under dark watercolor works best, and the most powerful contrast comes with the use of complementary colors.

I tell the kinders that if they're really quiet, they'll be able to hear the crayon yelling, "Watercolor! Don't stick on me!" I shout it out at the top of my voice and they remember. Sometimes, even months later, when a cool crayon resist effect turns out to be especially vibrant I'll hear a kid suddenly shout out loud "Don't stick on me!" Anyway, I've always thought this was called 'crayon resist,' and therefore there are quite a few hundred people here in Connecticut that think that as well.

I have done projects where we applied black tempera over crayon. I never considered this technique to be 'crayon resist.' After creating cubist drawings in the style of Picasso's faces with multiple points of view, we applied the black tempera to them. It worked ok, but the kids didn't seem to appreciate the antique look, and I heard lots of grumbling about how they liked their pieces better before the black was put on.

I also did thick tempera paintings in the style of Georges Rouault's 'King' and 'Heads of Two Clowns,' with their heavy black outlines and rich textures. My artists drew their heads in white chalk, then didn't cover the chalk with paint. They left the chalk visible when appying the tempera. After the tempera dried, we crumpled the paper and then appyed black drawing ink. We washed the ink off before it dried, leaving a gorgeou black outline and a cool patina - but I got the same disgruntled reaction from the artists. I guess the antique look is out, so I'm hesitant about doing it again any time real soon. Now I'm wondering - what's this technique called?

Puzzled, Mark