Dried glue/colored chalk

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 03:47:11 PDT

In a message dated 10/10/2001 10:51:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Jhirunrtx@aol.com writes:

> Yes, that's a dried glue design. Just draw the design first with pencil,
> draw over thickly with white glue and allow to dry. I use a soft sponge or
> cloth brayer to apply the printing ink. Janet ---

My 3rd-5th graders love this 2 week lesson and each one is a "masterpiece":
Set up various still life or silk flower arrangements on each table. Discuss
contour drawing, line, pattern, etc. On black construction paper, have the
students "draw" what they see in a "line drawing" with the glue. Next, they
can fill in a background using line patterns. Allow plenty of time for the
glue to dry. Do not apply too heavily, as a "pool" of glue doesn't dry as
well. When glue drawing is dry, fill in the areas between the glue with
colored chalk. ( I encourage heavily colored areas, messy, yes, but, that's
art!) I like to use Crayola's bright colored chalk for paper, but pastels
also work beautifully. Spray with hairspray to set.
I think this lesson must be as old as the hills, but the results are always a
winner!
Susan on Long Island

---