oil pastel resist

---------

From: Marian Colman (Colmans1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 02:43:17 PDT

We take contour portraits or self portraits, blow them up on 18x24 grey
bogus paper with an opaque projector, then choose a color scheme and fill in
around the lines with oil pastels. Students color heavily, blending the
colors from light to dark in the various shapes. Lastly, we fill in the
lines with a concentrated solution of batik dye, then blot slightly if the
dye goes over the pastel. These are very dramatic. I tied in the concept
of arbitrary color and the Fauves. The students love doing them- many look
very pyschedelic.
Marian

---