Re: programming question

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 19:47:35 PDT

Ugh! I cannot believe what a horrible way to do block scheduling! Our middle school meets with their core teachers for 45 minutes per day every day. Their afternoons are devoted to all rotation classes, which meet for 90 minutes every other day, with 45 minute classes on Fridays. Does this make any sense? Our high school is completely on block - 4 classes that meet Monday & Wed for 90 minutes, 4 classes that meet Tues & Thurs for 90 min. and all 8 classes meet Fridays for 45 min. Works great, and the ONLY ones who dislike our schedule is the music & band teacher.
~Michal

  My district has attempted to do block scheduling, however I don't think its been done correctly. Having no personal experience with how this works when its working correctly, may I ask a question?

  Is it done on a four day week? (We are middle school) It seems that the core subject teachers have the same 4 classes all week for double periods. Non core subjects, (art, music, dance, foreign language, law and government, etc) have between 12 and 15 classes, meeting just 1 or two periods per week. I would love to see all my students for double periods, but I guess they do it this way to service all the students... I was told this type of scheduling is here to stay, but I was wondering if there was a way to get it done better. They are still making changes, I got 3 new classes today. We are overcrowded, 1600+ students, 2 art teachers. In NY, all students must have (pass) a half year of art and music during 7th or 8th grade. .. This seems more like an elementary schedule than MS.....

  Just wondering how other places do it....

  Holly :0) ---

---