Re: Suggestion on making contact?

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 18:51:03 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "Kathy K" <kekoontz@yahoo.com>
> Recently I decided to move out of the corporate sector and get back to my
> 'art roots'. I'd like to pursue an art teaching career. Would you have a
> suggestion on how to connect with art educators in my area?
************************

Depending on what grade level you are anticipating you would enjoy teaching,
I would go to your local school and introduce yourself to the art teacher.
Art teachers usually fly pretty solo around here and in some districts
aren't even organized or participate in their regional councils.

If you aren't impressed with that art teacher you first meet, I'd head on
over to another school. Eventually you will find a mentor...someone willing
to listen to you, give suggestions about how their area is organized and you
can go from there. Every area or state I have been involved with all had
different stances on local involvement. In my district there is not ONE
other person who is involved at the regional level...much less state and
national level. We never meet as a group unless forced to by the district
and those can get unpleasant. One district over from us gets together once a
month and shares. I'm always invited to their meetings which I love going
to.

I'm off on another tangent....but I wanted to let you know that each
district has their own unique way so I would say you're best bet is to go
hunting for singletons first. Just call the school and make an appointment
to see the art teacher like a parent would. Toodles.....Bunki

---